Sunday, May 19, 2013

Blog 25: Mentorship


Literal
· Contact Name & Number

Jack B. (909) 228-4824


LOG



Interpretive
What is the most important thing you gained from this experience? Why?

I am so thankful I was able to find such a great mentor easily because I heard the struggle some of my peers went through to try and find a reliable mentor. He was so helpful to my project even though my topic changed drastically.

The most important thing I gained from my mentor is a hands-on way to apply what you know to any situation. Throughout my mentorship I have been in situations where no book or article could have told me what to do or how to act. It is something you learn by doing.

I have had to deal with rude customers who just won’t cooperate with us and we have dealt with natural obstacles like the sun and its natural lighting and trying to time it just right so our photos look their best. I just feel that hands-on learning is the best way to learn because not only does it test you on what is happening; it will prepare you for situations that have yet to happen. That improvisation skill is something that can be applied to so many situations that happen everyday.


Applied
How has what you’ve done helped you to answer your EQ? Please explain.

            My mentorship, believe it or not, helped my answer my essential question by using what I learned and apply it to a larger situation. Visualizing is key to photography in any branch. What I chose to present is very different from what I did for my mentorship but what Jack taught me was to adapt. As different as the two seemed, they are still just two different forms of photography. Photography in any form is the art and or science of capturing light whether it is visible or unseen. At one point standard photography was something that had to be created. It was a science in itself.

            The whole point of photography was to take the place of painting and sketching to develop a new way to document. This is something that Jack teaches in the first few days of ROP. Photography is a way to document and scientific photography is documenting new found light. Scientific photography is all about finding a way to capture what cannot be seen for documenting purposes just as early photography was a way to capture and document the times.

            The comparing and contrasting the two came from working with my mentor and him helping me change my perspective on what photography is.

No comments:

Post a Comment